I believe that the experiences we shape are an important part of product design. I joined the organisation of TEDxYouth Amsterdam as lead Experience designer to gain experience in leading a team and in shaping user experiences. In this role, Starting completely from scratch, it was my task to create a vision and build an experience around it.
Over the course of just over a year I assembled a team of 16 volunteers to help me create the experience for TEDxYouth. During regular meetings and creative sessions we developed a vision that enveloped every interaction between visitors and TEDxYouth. When the team grew, I created separate project groups. Each group consisted of one 'supervisor' and one helper. From that point on I facilitated communication between groups, directed and gave guidance to the supervisors and regularly joined in creative meetings with project groups to help in their process. The grand finale of the project were the five days prior to the event, during which I worked ceaselessly with the core team to build all props and designs we had created in the months before.
The end result was a carefully thought through experience for the visitors of the conference. Some focus points were the use of recycled materials, simple and clear visual design, consistent branding, durable props for multiple uses and an experience that touches all senses. This meant we designed not only props, but also the music, the entire registration proces, the available snacks, the audiovisual opening of the event and the commute back home. All elements I created with my team are listed below.
- Complete redesign of the website www.tedxyouthamsterdam.nl
- New registration experience.
- Reception outside of the venue by volunteers at the station and ferry.
- Custom decorated reception desk and cloak room.
- Handmade and professionally calligraphed visitors badges.
- Posters presenting the schedule and individual speakers.
Banners flown outside the building.
- Choreographed experience of choosing a workshop and finding its location.
- Interactive interior design for the Foyer / bar area. Including a cube with interactive displays, a
- chalkboard wall and decorative items.
- Decorated staircase / lounge area.
- Musical experience for the entire event done by a DJ and music producer.
- Podium design including a TED dot, TEDxYouth logo, lighting and decoration.
- Portable Stage logo for use at side events.
- Controlled buildup including animations, sound design, lighting, voiceovers and a countdown towards the start of the event.
- Short movie produced for the start of the event.
- Animated bumper for online videos and stage entrance of the speakers.
- 3D printed cookie cutters for logo-shaped cookies.
- Bags for the free goodie bags.
- Sponsored items for the goodie bags.
- Printed booklet / magazine for the goodie bags